January 13, 2017
Everyday in-the-moment practices
Off-the-mat practices for centering, clarity and stress-relief.
These practices can make you feel different in 2-5 minutes.
- Take a deep breath:
- Take five breaths, each one longer than the one before
- Slow the breath – lengthen inhalation and exhalation
- Expanding breath – count the inhalation and exhalation using a count of four, then five, then six, then seven….
- Sun breaths – inhale the arms up from your sides, overhead. Exhale the arms out and down alongside you. Lengthen inhalation and exhalation. Continue five to ten times. Then pause and relax.
- Ujjayi breathing – creating an inner “hissing” sound at the back of the throat, as if you are pressing the breath along the vocal chords.
- Nadi Shodhana – Slow, connected alternate nostril breathing. 15 – 20 rounds.
- Side stretches – exhale into the stretch, inhale back to center. Hands overhead or on the hips.
- Casual twists – sitting, exhale into the stretch.
- Piriformis stretch sitting in a chair. Place the outside ankle of one foot on the opposite thigh. Flex that foot. Exhaling tip a straight torso forward to the beginning of the stretch. Inhale up and out. Repeat a few times going a little deeper each time as the body allows.
- Affirmations – repeat the opposite of your negative self-talk
- Mantra– Om, SoHum, Letting Go, any mantra or affirmation repeated